Procurement finds and secures goods and services for Jones Graduate School of Business while continuing to support the mission of Rice University. It's more than a PCard and a purchase. We create processes around purchasing that allow us to be timely, efficient, cost-effective and professional in the services provided to the school's faculty and staff.
Please note that campus guidelines must be adhered to at all times while maintaining the best interest of the business school and the university.
Procurement engages in the following activities:
- Source items small to large, for compliance and cost savings
- Manage supplier relationships
- Utilize Rice Marketplace purchasing system for ordering, receiving and invoicing
|Vendor Standard ETAs|
*ATTENTION: Due to industry wide
|Rice Business Dell Laptop &
Desktop System Standards
*A 4-year warranty is required for all
|Contracted Rice Computer
Purchasing Process Timeline
This timeline provides you with an idea of the purchasing process from acquisition to delivery. Information provided is an estimate and is subject to change.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- The Office of Technology will cover the cost and setup for new faculty systems up to $2,500. Anything exceeding that amount will be covered by the faculty’s support budget. System setups can include a laptop or desktop, choice of monitors and a wireless mouse/keyboard combo.
- All systems will come with the standard software package preinstalled by IT. All faculty will have the option to request any additional systems and specs outside of the school's initial onboarding package. All additional costs will be debited from your faculty support budget.
- Ph.D. students are provided with the business school's advanced system package. This includes the choice of a Dell laptop/docking station or desktop, monitor and mouse/keyboard.
- Cost and setup is covered by the Office of Technology.
- Our standard software will be preinstalled by IT.
- The business school completes a staff system upgrade every four years.
- New staff will receive our standard system and setup which includes a laptop with docking station and (1) monitor, unless the department is able to repurpose an existing system and peripherals. If dual monitors are requested, the department will pay for the additional monitor.
- If a staff member requests a system outside of the standard, approval will need to be between their Director and the Senior Director of Technology.
- Yes, all technology hardware requests should go through Procurement. This ensures you receive the best pricing per Rice University’s contractual agreement with multiple preferred vendors.
- Yes, all software requests should go through Procurement. This ensures the software is properly vetted, per Rice policy and to remain in compliance. This also allows us to provide the best pricing available per Rice agreements that may already be in place.
- Not all software requests may be granted, but we will always provide alternative options that may already be in place by Rice.
We strongly suggest that you go through the Procurement process, but if you don’t, please keep the following in mind.
- All desktops and laptops purchases will require a 4-year warranty per university policy.
- Any systems purchased without the 3-year extended warranty will be supported on a best effort basis by Solution Services once the 1-year manufacture warranty has expired. The use of outside vendors may be needed and all costs will be deducted from departmental or support budgets.
- If you complete the purchase with a personal credit card, you will be responsible for all taxes.
- For immediate request, Procurement will need to obtain an exception to complete a computer purchase using a Rice purchasing card.
Procurement will use best efforts to accommodate any immediate requests, but there is no guarantee.
- Given the Rice Purchasing Policy on technology, Procurement will need to obtain an exception to complete a computer purchase using a Rice purchasing card.
- If a personal credit card is used to purchase any technology related items, you will be responsible for all taxes.
- Standard ETA for Apple is 4-6 weeks, Dell 4-6 weeks and Lenovo 4-6 plus weeks.
- NOTE: Once you start the hiring process in your department, please reach out to Procurement to start the process of purchasing new equipment. This will ensure the new staff is set-up prior to their start date.
If there is no warranty on your system, Solutions Services will make best effort to assist in resolving any issues that may arrive. We set a four year lifespan for faculty and staff computers. This helps prevent build-up of old, slow machines with failing hardware or
unsupported features. Procurement will suggest purchasing a new system for any systems where the warranty has expired. This ensures that the business school remains in compliance with university policies. For all newer non-warrantied systems, we will work with a local computer company on those repairs.
Faculty, please note: All repairs will be deducted from your budget.
If you are in need of a warranty repair, please click here to submit your request.
This option does not apply to everyone, please contact the Office of Technology for more information. If you qualify, Procurement will work with Financial Services to confirm your equipment and determine final cost based on the current book value.
Please click here to open a help desk ticket.