CoachRICE: A Leadership Coaching Program
Fall Cohort (Dual Delivery: In-person & Virtual) – August 2021
CoachRICE: A Leadership Coaching Program is facilitated by professionals from the Doerr Institute for New Leaders. The program uses a variety of teaching methodologies to give you a practical coaching skillset combined with the rigorous academic standards of Rice University. The CoachRICE program will train and equip you to develop your team members and high potential leaders, all while strengthening your entire organization. After successful completion of the program, participants will earn a Rice Certificate of Achievement verifying completion of the 80 hours of coach-specific training and practicum required for the International Coaching Federation’s (ICF) Associate Certified Coach (ACC) credential application.
I had been coaching at a very elementary level but now I feel much more confident in facilitating the coaching conversation and I feel much more effective.
Fall 2019 Participant
Apply now for the fall 2021 cohort.
CoachRICE: A Leadership Coaching Program is a coach certification program awarded by the Doerr Institute for New Leaders, a university-wide leader development system which serves all eight schools at Rice University. The CoachRICE program is administered by Rice Business Executive Education.
- Coaches interested in pursuing a professional credential with the International Coaching Federation
- Internal organization coaches who want to enhance their skillset
- Managers and leaders who want to coach and develop their employees
- Professionals in allied fields who want to add coaching skills to their portfolio
- Human resource (HR) and organizational development professionals (OD&T) who want to deepen their expertise
The program is divided into four modules and a practicum experience. Modules are delivered through a combination of face-to-face instruction (for in-person participants), live online instruction (for virtual participants), presentations, discussions, dyadic exercises and other interactive methods and independent studies. All required modules, including pre-class hours, are completed over a period of four months. In-person participants will join the class on the Rice University campus while virtual participants will join via Zoom.
Dual Delivery: August - November 2021
- Monthly face-to-face or virtual instruction based on your selection
- Thursday afternoon + full-day Friday
- Self-study between sessions
- Dates: August 19-20, September 16-17, October 14-15, November 11-12
- Practicum Experience: Spring 2022 (scheduled by you in coordination with your assigned mentor coach)
While we remain committed to providing you with an in-person experience, we want to disclose that we cannot guarantee the face-to-face option will be delivered due to the fluidity of the current health situation. Please be assured we are more than prepared to deliver the program to a completely online cohort if required. In the event we must transition to fully online delivery, you will be expected to complete the program with your initial cohort. Refunds and deferrals will not be possible.
Module One: Introduction to Leadership Coaching
Introduction to Coaching will cover an in-depth overview of the practice of coaching. Topics will include self-awareness and personal development as a coach, emotional intelligence for leaders, and core competencies such as coaching presence and establishing agreements.
Module Two: Essential Tools and Methodologies for Coaching
This module focuses on the process of coaching and examines various models that support a coaching conversation. Participants will practice the listening and communication skills necessary for cultivating trust and evoking awareness with a client.
Module Three: Facilitating Client Growth
This module focuses on goal creation, accountability and managing progress with a client. Participants will explore the common barriers, challenges and mindsets encountered in leadership coaching.
Module Four: Inclusion Practices in Coaching
This module will increase coaches’ sensitivity to issues of diversity, equity and cultural competency and examine the importance of the ICF Code of Ethics. Participants will be evaluated on all ICF core competencies and provided with an overview of the ICF-credentialing process.
All content was created by the Doerr Institute using evidence-based techniques and is supported with research-validated outcomes.
Tuition includes both leadership coach training and practicum hours. Tuition does not include the cost of textbooks (estimate of $200). A reading syllabus will be provided to accepted applicants of the program.
For early admittance to the fall 2021 cohort, a 50 percent payment is due on June 10 and full payment must be received by July 29, 2021. For general admittance to the fall 2021 cohort, a 50 percent payment is due on July 8 and full payment must be received by July 29, 2021. If you are having the invoice processed for payment by your company, you are required to make a $1500 good faith deposit by the first payment deadline. The deposit will be refunded in full when the funds are received. No exceptions can be made.
Attendance in the CoachRICE program requires significant advance preparation, so we ask that you provide written notice of cancellation more than 30 days prior to the program start date to be eligible for a full refund less a 6% administrative fee. At our discretion, qualified substitutes for confirmed registrations may be accommodated prior to the program start date with written notice and will incur no fee for substitution. Notice given after 30 days prior to the program will not be eligible for a refund.
Prerequisites for CoachRICE
- Bachelor's Degree
- Minimum five years of experience with preference given to those who have worked in human resources, organizational behavior, organizational development, or a related field
- Leadership experience -- It is not a requirement that the applicant be in an official supervisory position. Rather, we recognize that participants will benefit from being able to reflect on past leadership experiences in a variety of professional or community-based situations (e.g. team leader for a project, role in a civic organization, opportunity for influence in a sports or religious organization, etc.)
Early Application Deadline: May 20, 2021
Regular Application Deadline: June 17, 2021
Join the Doerr Institute for an upcoming free information session. Please register for the session you are able to attend, and we will send you log in credentials directly.
- February 17, 2021 at 12pm CST
- March 17, 2021 at 12pm CST
- April 7, 2021 at 12pm CST
- May 5, 2021 at 12pm CST