CoachRICE: A Leadership Coaching Program
Spring Cohorts (In-person & Virtual) – January 2021
CoachRICE: A Leadership Coaching Program is facilitated by professionals from the Doerr Institute for New Leaders. The program uses a variety of teaching methodologies to give you a practical coaching skillset combined with the rigorous academic standards of Rice University. The CoachRICE program will train and equip you to develop your team members and high potential leaders, all while strengthening your entire organization. After successful completion of the program, participants will earn a Rice Certificate of Achievement verifying completion of the 80 hours of coach-specific training and practicum required for the International Coaching Federation’s (ICF) Associate Certified Coach (ACC) credential application.
I had been coaching at a very elementary level but now I feel much more confident in facilitating the coaching conversation and I feel much more effective.
Fall 2019 Participant
Apply now for the spring 2021 cohorts.
CoachRICE: A Leadership Coaching Program is a coach certification program awarded by the Doerr Institute for New Leaders, a university-wide leader development system which serves all eight schools at Rice University. The CoachRICE program is administered by Rice Business Executive Education.
- Coaches interested in pursuing a professional credential with the International Coaching Federation
- Internal organization coaches who want to enhance their skillset
- Managers and leaders who want to coach and develop their employees
- Professionals in allied fields who want to add coaching skills to their portfolio
- Human resource (HR) and organizational development professionals (OD&T) who want to deepen their expertise
Available in-person and online, the program is divided into four modules and a practicum experience. Modules are delivered through a combination of face-to-face instruction (in-person program), live online instruction (virtual program), presentations, discussions, dyadic exercises and other interactive methods and independent studies. All required modules, including pre-class hours, are completed over a period of four months. In-person classes will take place on the Rice University campus. Virtual classes will be delivered via Zoom. Session links will be provided to participants upon registration.
In-person: January - April 2021
- Monthly face-to-face instruction
- Thursday afternoon + full-day Friday
- Self-study between sessions
- Dates: January 14-15, February 11-12, March 25-26, April 29-30
- Practicum Experience: May 2021 - August 2021 (scheduled by you in coordination with your assigned mentor coach)
While we remain committed to providing you with an in-person experience, we want to disclose that we cannot guarantee at this time the course will be delivered in person due to the fluidity of the current health situation. Please be assured we are more than prepared to shift the in-person cohort online if required. In the event we must transition to online delivery, you will be expected to complete the program with your initial cohort. Refunds and deferrals will not be possible.
Virtual: January - April 2021
- 3 hours of virtual instruction every Wednesday excluding March 17
- Sessions delivered in Standard English (U.S.)
- Self-study between sessions
- Dates: January 13 - April 14
- Practicum Experience: 10-hour practicum dates and times scheduled by you in coordination with your assigned mentor coach
Module One: Introduction to Leadership Coaching
Introduction to Coaching will cover an in-depth overview of the practice of coaching. Topics will include self-awareness and personal development as a coach, emotional intelligence for leaders, and core competencies such as coaching presence and establishing agreements.
Module Two: Essential Tools and Methodologies for Coaching
This module focuses on the process of coaching and examines various models that support a coaching conversation. Participants will practice the listening and communication skills necessary for cultivating trust and evoking awareness with a client.
Module Three: Facilitating Client Growth
This module focuses on goal creation, accountability and managing progress with a client. Participants will explore the common barriers, challenges and mindsets encountered in leadership coaching.
Module Four: Inclusion Practices in Coaching
This module will increase coaches’ sensitivity to issues of diversity, equity and cultural competency and examine the importance of the ICF Code of Ethics. Participants will be evaluated on all ICF core competencies and provided with an overview of the ICF-credentialing process.
All content was created by the Doerr Institute using evidence-based techniques and is supported with research-validated outcomes.
Tuition includes both leadership coach training and practicum hours. Tuition does not include the cost of textbooks (estimate of $200). A reading syllabus will be provided to accepted applicants of the program.
For early admittance to the spring 2021 cohort, a 50 percent payment is due on November 5 and full payment must be received by December 10, 2020. For general admittance to the spring 2021 cohort, a 50 percent payment is due on November 25 and full payment must be received by December 10, 2020. If you are having the invoice processed for payment by your company, you are required to make a $1500 good faith deposit by the first payment deadline. The deposit will be refunded in full when the funds are received. No exceptions can be made.
Attendance in the CoachRICE program requires significant advance preparation, so we ask that you provide written notice of cancellation more than 30 days prior to the program start date to be eligible for a full refund less a 6% administrative fee. At our discretion, qualified substitutes for confirmed registrations may be accommodated prior to the program start date with written notice and will incur no fee for substitution. Notice given after 30 days prior to the program will not be eligible for a refund.
Prerequisites for CoachRICE
- Bachelor's Degree
- Minimum five years of experience with preference given to those who have worked in human resources, organizational behavior, organizational development, or a related field
- Leadership experience -- It is not a requirement that the applicant be in an official supervisory position. Rather, we recognize that participants will benefit from being able to reflect on past leadership experiences in a variety of professional or community-based situations (e.g. team leader for a project, role in a civic organization, opportunity for influence in a sports or religious organization, etc.)
Spring 2021 Admission Process
Early Decision Application Deadline: October 15, 2020
Early Decision Notification: October 22, 2020
General Application Deadline: November 5, 2020
General Application Notification: November 12, 2020
Join the Doerr Institute for an upcoming free information session. Please register for the session you are able to attend, and we will send you log in credentials directly.
- October 15, 2020 at 4pm CST