CoachRICE: A Leadership Coaching Program
Gain a Practical Coaching Skillset and Strengthen Your Organization
Program dates: August 2023 - April 2024 (In-person)
Application deadline: May 24 (apply here)
Info session dates: March 20, April 11, May 2 (virtual, 12pm, register here)
CoachRICE: A Leadership Coaching Program is facilitated by professionals from the Doerr Institute for New Leaders and is a 105-hour Level 1 accredited program with the International Coaching Federation (ICF). It uses a variety of teaching methodologies to give you a practical coaching skillset combined with the rigorous academic standards of Rice University. The CoachRICE program will train and equip you to develop your team members and high potential leaders, all while strengthening your entire organization. After successful completion of the program, participants will earn a Doerr Institute Certificate of Completion verifying completion of an International Coaching Federation (ICF) accredited Level 1 program.
If you are a current Rice University student, please find student programs here.
Interested in CoachRice?
I came to a keen understanding of my own values and motivations, and I found myself becoming a more thoughtful and compassionate leader, eager to bring out the best in myself and others.
Carolyn Perry, Ph.D.
Spring 2021 Participant
Learn about our 2023 In-person cohort.
CoachRICE: A Leadership Coaching Program is a coach certification program awarded by the Doerr Institute for New Leaders, a university-wide leader development system which serves all eight schools at Rice University. The CoachRICE program is administered by Rice Business Executive Education.
- Coaches interested in pursuing a professional credential with the International Coaching Federation
- Internal organization coaches who want to enhance their skillset
- Managers and leaders who want to coach and develop their employees
- Professionals in allied fields who want to add coaching skills to their portfolio
- Human resource (HR) and organizational development professionals (OD&T) who want to deepen their expertise
This program includes instructional modules, partnering coaching, mentor coaching, a self-study, and a performance evaluation. The program is delivered through a combination of instruction, presentations, discussions, dyadic exercises and other interactive methods and independent studies. All required modules, including pre-class hours, are completed over a period of ten months.
The upcoming 2023 Cohort that begins in August will be predominantly facilitated in-person on the campus of Rice University. Mentor Coaching sessions will take place virtually via Zoom.
All modules are delivered in Standard English (U.S.). Students must be able to fully commit to the schedule. If a class is missed, students are required to wait and attend a future module that corresponds to the missed content and will be charged $500 for up to 4 hours of make-up instruction and $750 for up to 8 hours of make-up instruction.
2023 In-person CoachRICE for Professionals Program Dates & Times*:
- Orientation | Wednesday, August 2, 6:00-7:00 pm
- Group EQi Debrief | Wednesday, August 9, 5:00-7:00 pm
- Module 1 | Wednesday, August 23, 1:00-5:00 pm, Thursday, August 24, 8:00 am-12:00 pm, Friday, August 25, 8:00 am- 12:00 pm
- Mentor Coaching Session 1 | Wednesday, September 13, 5:00-6:30 pm (hosted online)
- Module 2 | Wednesday, October 4, 1:00-5:00 pm, Thursday, October 5, 8:00 am-12:00 pm, Friday, October 6, 8:00 am-12:00 pm
- Mentor Coaching Session 2 | Wednesday, October 25, 5:00-6:30 pm (hosted online)
- Module 3 | Wednesday, November 8, 1:00-5:00 pm, Thursday, November 9, 8:00 am-12:00 pm, Friday, November 10, 8:00 am-12:00 pm
- Mentor Coaching Session 3 | Wednesday, November 29, 5:00-6:30 pm (hosted online)
- Module 4 | Wednesday, December 13, 1:00-5:00 pm, Thursday, December 14, 8:00 am-12:00 pm, Friday, December 15, 8:00 am-12:00 pm
- Mentor Coaching Session 4 | Wednesday, January 3, 5:00-6:30 pm (hosted online)
- Mentor Coaching Session 5 | Wednesday, February 7, 5:00-6:30 pm (hosted online)
- Graduation | Wednesday, April 24, 5:00-7:00 pm
*All times are in CST. Sessions will be hosted in-person at Rice University unless otherwise noted.
Module One: Introduction to Leadership Coaching
Introduction to Coaching will cover an in-depth overview of the practice of coaching. Topics will include self-awareness and personal development as a coach, emotional intelligence for leaders, and core competencies such as coaching presence and establishing agreements.
Module Two: Essential Tools and Methodologies for Coaching
This module focuses on the process of coaching and examines various models that support a coaching conversation. Participants will practice the listening and communication skills necessary for cultivating trust and evoking awareness with a client.
Module Three: Facilitating Client Growth
This module focuses on goal creation, accountability and managing progress with a client. Participants will explore the common barriers, challenges and mindsets encountered in leadership coaching.
Module Four: Inclusion Practices in Coaching
This module will increase coaches’ sensitivity to issues of diversity, equity and cultural competency and examine the importance of the ICF Code of Ethics. Participants will be evaluated on all ICF core competencies and provided with an overview of the ICF-credentialing process.
All content was created by the Doerr Institute using evidence-based techniques and is supported with research-validated outcomes.
Tuition includes leadership coach training, mentor group sessions and practicum hours. Tuition does not include the cost of textbooks (estimate of $200). A reading syllabus will be provided to accepted applicants of the program.
After admissions decisions are announced, students will have about 3 weeks to provide a minimum 50 percent installment to confirm enrollment and full tuition is due approximately 1 month prior to the start date of the program. If tuition will be paid by a company and additional time is required to process, the student must provide a $1500 good faith deposit by the first payment deadline to confirm enrollment. The deposit will be refunded in full when the funds are received. No exceptions can be made.
Attendance in the CoachRICE program requires significant advance preparation, so we ask that you provide written notice of cancellation at least 30 days prior to the program start date to be eligible for 75% refund. At our discretion, qualified substitutes for confirmed registrations may be accommodated prior to the program start date with written notice and will incur no fee for substitution. Notice given after 30 days prior to the program will not be eligible for a refund.
I understand that if I miss a class, I am required to wait and attend a future module that corresponds to the missed content. I will be charged $500 for up to four hours of make-up instruction and $750 for up to 8 hours of make-up instruction. The Doerr Institute for New Leaders will generate the invoices for the missed sessions and must receive payment prior to attendance of the make-up module.
Mentor Coaching Reschedule Terms
I understand that if I miss one of the scheduled group Mentor Coaching sessions, I will be responsible for making up two hours with my mentor coach at the rate of $275/hour. Additionally, I understand that if I fail to give my mentor coach 48 hours notice before cancelling an individual one-on-one session, I will need to pay the mentor coach for the rescheduled make up session at the rate of $275/hour. These payments must be made directly to the mentor coach.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Minimum five years of experience with preference given to those who have worked in human resources, organizational behavior, organizational development, or a related field
- Leadership experience -- It is not a requirement that the applicant be in an official supervisory position. Rather, we recognize that participants will benefit from being able to reflect on past leadership experiences in a variety of professional or community-based situations (e.g. team leader for a project, role in a civic organization, opportunity for influence in a sports or religious organization, etc.)
- Application must be completed by the application deadline and include all information requested including an up-to-date resume or CV
Please register to attend an Information Session with the Doerr Institute for New Leaders to learn more about CoachRICE for Professionals.
Upcoming Info Sessions:
Monday, March 20, 2023, 12 PM CST
Tuesday, April 11, 2023, 12 PM CST
Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 12 PM CST
All Info Sessions will take place over Zoom. Please register today!
Application, Decision & Payment Dates:
Applications Due | Wednesday, May 24
Admission Decisions Announced | Monday, June 5
Invoices distributed | Monday, June 12
First Payment Due | Wednesday, June 28
Full Payment Due | Wednesday, July 19
Program Dates: August 2, 2023 - April 24, 2024 (see details under "Program Schedule")
Information Session Dates (12PM CST via Zoom):
Monday, March 20
Tuesday, April 11
Tuesday, May 2