The Rice Business Professional MBA provides you with a comprehensive learning experience and a flexible format to work with your schedule.
We have obtained STEM designation for all our MBA programs. The STEM designation is a direct response to the data-driven business environment, employer needs and student interest. Our Rice MBA graduates are known in the marketplace for broad problem-solving skills, reflecting a curriculum grounded in quantitative and data-analytic methodologies across the disciplines. This is now reflected in the STEM designation.
The program combines three essential elements:
- A comprehensive and challenging core curriculum provides you with a solid foundation of basic business disciplines;
- A required Capstone project gives you and your team a real-world applied learning activity and promotes camaraderie throughout the MBA experience;
- Specialized electives in your second year allow you to broaden your professional toolkit beyond the standard general management curriculum.
Weekend and Evening Options Available
Classes start around 6:15PM and end around 9:30PM. For the evening format, dinner is also offered and available at 5:30pm. Please note that there will be a couple of times you'll be required to participate in an all-day class. These dates are outlined on the month-by-month calendar.
The weekend format was designed for those with a 9/80 work schedule. The standard class time on Friday is 4PM to 9:30PM, but there will be some Fridays that require students to come to campus early. Roughly 2/3 of the Fridays in the program are standard starts. This doesn’t take into account the spring Communication workshops, but every student decides for themselves which days to come in for workshops. Most of our students plan to go into the office just for half a day every other Friday. Saturday classes are from 7:30AM to 6:30PM.
Tips for weekend curriculum calendar
- Anything dark blue on the month-by-month calendar is a mid-day start, which means earlier than 4pm but not 7:30am.
- All of the ones in fall of the first year and for communications, which starts at 2:15pm (which is stated in the first footnote).
- The one mid-day start in spring of the first year is a 12:30pm start.
- There are also two yellow days in the second year (plus a weekend) that are Capstone.
- The two earlier yellow days are usually 12:30pm starts.
- Capstone weekend is presentations and actual meeting time will be dependent on your team's assigned presentation time.
Professionals can earn an MBA by attending classes just two weekends a month for 22 months
The Jones Graduate School of Business is proud to offer a travel subsidy for students commuting to Houston for the MBA for Professionals and MBA for Executives programs. This subsidy includes the hotel portion of a student’s stay for class weekends. Hotel accommodations are provided by Houston Marriott Medical Center, located one mile from campus:
Houston Marriott Medical Center
6580 Fannin Street
Houston, TX 77030
Main Phone: (713) 796-0080
Please note that the Weekend Residency Program fee is not included in the MBA tuition. The fee for the program is $1,500/semester, which is added as a line item on a student’s tuition bill each semester.
What is/is not covered by the Weekend Residency program?
The Jones Graduate School of Business covers payment for:
- Room/tax for class weekends
- MBAP program: Friday and Saturday nights
- EMBA program: Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights
- Room/tax for non-weekend programming
- MBAP program: Immersions
- EMBA program: Non-Residency Executive Forums
The Jones Graduate School of Business does not cover payment for:
- Incidentals (e.g. mini-bar tabs, late night meals at the hotel, room service, etc.)
- Airfare or transportation
For more information regarding the Weekend Residency program, please contact the Rice MBA Recruiting & Admissions Office at 713-348-4918 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Room/tax for class weekends
This extended evening program better accommodates our working professional students in the Professional MBA.
The Extended Professional MBA (ExPMBA) evening program is an extended format to allow those who want the option of completing the program in three years (or up to five years) instead of the traditional two years. The curriculum and faculty are still the same - you just now have the flexibility in completing the program!
Convenience and flexibility are so important to our students so the program offers these key benefits (after completion of the first semester):
- One night of class per week after the first core semester (instead of two)
- Spread the financial cost over a total of six + semesters (instead of four semesters)
- Increase corporate sponsorship opportunities over four calendar years (instead of currently three calendar years)
The ExPMBA evening program allows you to complete the same curricular requirements (a minimum of 54 credit hours) over three to five academic years. While there are some basic enrollment requirements for each semester, this academic structure allows you full control and flexibility to align your pace of completion with your lifestyle preference and work situation.
For students entering the program in Fall 2020, the tuition is $109,930 and is billed on a prorated per credit hour basis each semester.*
A non-refundable enrollment deposit of $2500** is due upon acceptance and will be applied toward your first semester bill.
*The per credit hour billing amount is prorated based on the total program tuition divided by the total minimum number of credit hours required to complete the degree. The prorated amount is then multiplied by the total number of credit hours you are enrolled in for that semester.
** The $2500 non-refundable deposit is due upon acceptance into the program and serves as a guarantee of enrollment into the year for which you are accepted. Failure to enroll in that year results in forfeiture of the deposit and will require reapplication to the program.
For questions about the Extended Professional MBA Evening program, please contact the Recruiting and Admissions Office at 713-348-4918 or email@example.com.
Please also review the sample month-by-month calendars included within the weekend and evening option descriptions for more information.
The events below have all-day programming and require you to take time off from work.
A two-day orientation that brings the weekend students and evening students together.
Launch is a six-day long jumpstart to your Rice Professional MBA experience. For students in both the Evening and Weekend options, there will be a mandatory six-day Launch programs over the course of your 22-month experience here.
- For those in the Evening option, Launch takes place in July before the start of your first year and in March during your second year.
- For those in the Weekend option, Launch takes place in July prior to the start of each year.
The goal of Launch is to help you quickly acclimate to the MBA experience. You'll start some of the required coursework during Launch. In additional to the academic coursework, you'll participate in a series of academic boot camps, career and professional development workshops, team building workshops and assessments and a few camaraderie-building activities.
The Capstone Course gives Professional MBA students the opportunity to participate in a real-world applied learning activity outside of work and the traditional classroom. It brings together student teams and their professors to develop recommendations that can help community organizations solve critical strategic challenges, such as major growth or expansion plans, organization turnaround strategies, and new ventures by the organization in need of a business plan.
Global Field Experience
The Global Field Experience is your study abroad experience that is built into your core curriculum. It is an adventurous, immersive learning requirement that will change your perception of the world and the way you do business in it. Students work in small teams to complete consulting projects with local students, companies and non-profits. However, if international travel is a hardship, the student can opt out of the trip and enroll in an alternative course. Learn more here.
Second Year Flexibility
Second-year electives are open to all of our on-campus MBA students, therefore our Professional MBA students may choose from 100+ electives in their second year. You may mix and match evening electives, weekend electives or day-time electives, whatever works in your schedule. Below are our top electives by concentration.
Health Care Specialization Track
A health care specialization track is offered to Professional MBAs as an enhancement to your degree. This health care track is aimed at health care professionals working full time who are seeking to advance themselves in the industry. The health care courses are offered year round and supplement regular electives.