George R. Brown Professor of Marketing
Utpal Dholakia is the George R. Brown Professor of Marketing at the Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Business, Rice University in Houston, Texas. He has a master's degree in psychology, and a Ph.D. in marketing from the University of Michigan, a master's degree in operations research from the Ohio State University, and a bachelor's degree in industrial engineering from the University of Bombay.
His research interests lie in studying motivational psychology of consumers and online marketing issues such as virtual communities and online auctions. He also studies relational aspects of consumer behavior. He has published in a number of marketing and management journals, and consults with firms in financial services, energy, health-care and other industries.
PODCAST FEATURING PROFESSOR UTPAL DHOLAKIA
Unmarketing: A Guide To Not Buying Anything
A conversation with Professor Utpal Dholakia, a marketing expert who encourages people to buy and consume prudently to maximize pleasure.
- Jones Graduate School of Business
- Alpha Pi Mu (Industrial Engineering Honor Society)
- American Marketing Association
- Association for Consumer Research
- Exploring sustainability of Connexions William & Flora Hewlett Foundation
- Understanding the Open Source Business Model: Application to Connexions Computer and Information Technology Institute, Rice University (CITI)
- B.E (1993) University of Bombay
- M.S. (1994) Ohio State University
- M.S. (1997) University of Michigan
- Ph.D. (1998) University of Michigan
- Pricing strategies
- Financial decision making
- Social consumer behavior
- Online marketing
- SME Marketing strategy