We negotiate all the time â€“ with bosses, friends, clients, spouses, colleagues, vendors and others. Although negotiations are a daily occurrence, many of us know little about the factors that influence negotiation processes and outcomes. Through a series of exercises, this program will help participants become better negotiators by better understanding people and situations, corresponding negotiating strategies, and influencing techniques. The results of these exercises will be posted and debriefed so that the class can learn from everyoneâ€™s experience. Participants will leave the program with a set of negotiation principles based in research and the capability to apply them to enhance personal gains in negotiations while simultaneously sustaining long term relationships. Register online.
Upcoming Dates: Fall 2016, TBD
Tuition: $2,500; Tuition includes class materials, and daily breakfast and lunch. It is expected that applicants have their own health insurance valid in the United States. The university is not responsible for medical expenses incurred by participants during the program.
Hajo Adam, Ph.D. Assistant Professor of Management
- Build awareness of the values, motivations and psychological biases that drive peopleâ€™s behaviors in negotiations and conflict situations.
- Familiarity with the basic skills, concepts and principles that enable better negotiation outcomes in a variety of contexts.
- Discuss recent empirical research findings on negotiations and related topics.
- Engage in exercises and simulations that illustrate important elements and aspects of negotiation situations.
- Apply frameworks and techniques that can have a positive impact on both personal and professional life.
Attendance at a Rice University Executive Education program requires significant advance preparation. Written notice of cancellation must be received more than 30 days prior to the program start date to be eligible for a full refund less a 6% administrative fee. At Rice University Executive Educationâ€™s discretion, qualified substitutes for confirmed registrations may be accommodated prior to the program start date with written notice and will incur no fee for substitution. Notice given after 30 days prior to the program will not be eligible for a refund.