Looking for a meaningful way to give back? Let us match you with a current student to engage in a one-on-one mentoring relationship.
The next session of the Alumni-Student Mentoring Program will run from January 2017 - December 2017. A "Call for Alumni Mentors" will go out in September 2016; at that time, the application to apply to become an Alumni Mentor will be posted to this website, and a link to the application will be emailed to all alumni.
For questions or additional information, contact Alaina Schuster, Associate Director of Alumni Relations and Development, at 713-348-3710 (office) or 713-542-6993 (cell).
Alumni-Student Mentoring Program is open to:
- Alumni of the Jones Graduate School of Business at Rice University
- Students in the first year of the Full-Time MBA program or the first year of the Professional MBA program
During the matching process, we carefully weigh each applicant's unique responses and, ultimately, will only facilitate a Mentor-Mentee match if we believe it will be a mutually successful one.Â
Once matched, Alumni Mentors and Student Mentees set their own meeting schedules, with a minimum of four visits suggested.
Possible discussion points throughout the Mentor-Mentee relationship:
- Transition from the MBA world into the workforce
- Industry and company experiences
- Work-life balance
- Job-search or networking strategies (Please note: this program is not intended to find jobs for students.)
- Establish an environment of open communication and active listening with your Alumni Mentor
- Understand the expectations your Mentor has of you
- Enhance and influence your career strategy
- Deepen your knowledge of an industry or job function
- Seek advice and insight from a real-world professional
- Receive and accept advice and constructive feedback
- Sharpen interpersonal skills, professional acumen and networking proficiency Â
- Reminder: this program is not intended to find jobs for students
For Alumni Mentors:
- Establish an environment of open communication and active listening with your Student Mentee
- Communicate your expectations to your Mentee
- Share your personal experiences and knowledge â€“ information about your education, career path, successes and failures, lessons learned, etc. Â
- Support your Student Mentee with networking advice and opportunities
- Reminder: this program is not intended to find jobs for student.Â