* Note that there is another ceremony taking place in Tudor Fieldhouse the morning of Investiture. That ceremony should end by 11:30 AM. Guests should not plan on showing up earlier than 12:00pm as it will disrupt the other ceremony in progress.
** On the day of Investiture, all parking lots will be open and access gates lifted (gates will be up no earlier than 9am). As it will be a busy day and Central Campus Garage is a coveted parking area, I suggest that friends and families arrive early to secure parking. This may be a good time to take pictures and stroll the campus before the ceremony starts at 1 pm. If the Central Campus lot fills up early the overflow parking lot is Alice Pratt Brown. Please see section on Parking below.
Investiture is the Jones Graduate School of Business ceremony celebrating the graduating MBA students. Each student will be called to cross the stage and receive their master's hood from Dean Glick. Tickets are not distributed for this event, and students may invite as many guests as they like.
Live Webcast Information
A live web cast will be available for those guests not able to attend Investiture and may be accessed at business.rice.edu/investiturewebcast. This will broadcast in Shell Auditorium (located in McNair Hall) for those family members who may have trouble viewing the event from Tudor Fieldhouse.
A reception will be held immediately following the Investiture ceremony at McNair Hall. While light hors d’oeuvres will be served, most students and family/friends go to dinner after the reception.
Our out of town guests can find dining recommendations by visiting these sites:
All campus parking lots are opened up during graduation weekend, so students and guests are welcome to park in any of the lots for free, including the Campus Garage. Parking Map
Disability Accessible Information
If there are guests with a disability or who are elderly, there are several options. Rice police will allow cars to stop for several minutes directly in front of Tudor Fieldhouse in order to unload guests. If guests are driving, they may wish to park in either the Alice Pratt Brown or West parking lots, all of which are the closest to Tudor Fieldhouse.
Disability seating is located on the second floor of Tudor Fieldhouse and is easily accessible via elevator. There will be staff on hand to advise visitors of the location of the elevators.
The Jones School will not provide wheelchairs at the Investiture ceremony. In the event you would like to rent a wheelchair, one local vendor is:
Wheelchair and Scooter Express – 713-942-2522
Jim Marks – firstname.lastname@example.org
4905 San Jacinto
While each MBA graduate is being hooded on stage during the Investiture, Marc Nathan Photographers will provide everyone with the opportunity to purchase photographs from this memorable moment. They will also be set up in McNair Hall during the post-Investiture reception to do family portraits. Information on availability of those images will be sent to each graduate's email address provided with his/her permanent address on file with the Jones Schools Program Coordinators. If this information is not current and you'd like to receive information, please forward your correct info via email to email@example.com.
You may visit www.gradphotonetwork.com to view all the images from the ceremony as well as the family portraits. Approximately five days following the ceremony, emails will go out to everyone to view their specific photos. Pricing and package options are available online and there is no obligation to purchase anything. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call the office at (281) 549-2367 ext 2.
For the comfort of all attending, there will be a designated area in the back of Tudor Fieldhouse for persons wishing to videotape the entire event. Please ask one of the staff volunteers for directions.
Hand-held cameras and camcorders may be used from seats, but we ask that guests remain seated throughout the ceremony. Standing briefly to photograph an individual graduate is permitted.
For individuals or families wishing to take professional portraits, Marc Nathan Photography will be set up in Rm. 116 of McNair Hall during the post-Investiture reception.
Commencement is the main Rice University graduation ceremony. The ceremony will feature a full academic procession and recession, the conferral of degrees, the Commencement Speaker’s address, presentation of several awards, and brief remarks by other officials. The plenary session should run about two hours in length. In the event of inclement weather, the ceremony will be moved to Tudor Fieldhouse, where seating is limited.
||Saturday, May 17, 2014
||Since the Commencement ceremony is held outside, most men find coats and ties to be uncomfortable. Ladies typically wear nice slacks, skirts, or dresses. Light colors and fabrics are recommended for the outdoor ceremony.
Commencement is held outside and students may invite as many guests as they like. Seating is on a first come, first serve basis. Should it rain, the ceremony will be held in Tudor Fieldhouse; in this case, students are issued approximately 2 inclement weather tickets for their guests. There are no other tickets needed for Commencement.
Additional information about Commencement can be found by going to the University’s Commencement website.
Tips to Pass Along to Parents and Guests:
- The Commencement Ceremony will begin promptly at 9:00 a.m.
- Parking will be limited and entrances 1 and 2 on Main will be closed. All vehicles must park at either of two locations: (1) Enter at Entrance 8 on University Boulevard at Stockton and park in the Stadium lot or (2) Enter at Entrance 20 on Rice Boulevard and park in the North Lot. The campus loop shuttle buses will be running from the Stadium Lot for your convenience both before and after the ceremony. A limited number of parking spaces have been reserved in the Cohen House lot for guests requiring special assistance. For a pass to this reserved area, please e-mail email@example.com. An electric cart will be available to transport those guests from the Cohen House lot to the Academic Quadrangle. Please do not park in unauthorized locations. Cars interfering with Commencement will be removed.
- Restrooms will be open in the buildings surrounding the Academic Quadrangle. Restrooms for handicapped persons can be found in Sewall Hall and the Humanities Building. An additional restroom facility can be found between Sewall and Rayzor Halls. Drinking water and first aid facilities will also be available. Please refer to the map on the back of the Commencement
program or ask the ushers for assistance.
- After the ceremony, graduates will march out through the Sallyport to refreshment tables in Founder's Court on the east side of Lovett Hall. You may wish to arrange to rendezvous with your guests at the table for your college or the table for the GSA.
Those visiting Houston from international destinations may need documentation from Rice University in order to apply for a visa to attend the Investiture and/or Commencement ceremonies. If this applies to you, please complete this form for the Office of Student Services.
Upon receipt of each student’s request, our staff will complete a letter that will be useful as part of the visa application process.