What We Do
One of the main purposes of the Jones Student Association (JSA) is to be a catalyst for maintaining the JGSB student experience and culture, and the JSA team does this by organizing numerous networking, professional, and social events throughout the year. These events are meant to help build community, as well as give students a chance to unwind from the rigors of the program. In the past, our social events have included:
- Weekly Partios (parties on the patio)
- Halloween Costume Contest
- Holiday "Ugly Sweater" Contest
- The JGSB Softball Tournament
- Crawfish boils, pool parties, and other end of the year events
And of course, the JSA is also tasked with planning the annual JGSB Gala, a night of music, dancing, and merriment!
The JSA also serves as a liaison between the school's administration and the Full-Time student body. To this end, JSA has organized Lunch Colloquiums
, which are held most Monday afternoons from 11:15 AM - 12:30 PM. These informal forums give staff and faculty members a place to pass important information on to students, and also allow student club leaders to make announcements to their classmates. As the name suggests, Lunch Colloquiums are also a great place to grab a free bite to eat between classes!
It is important to recognize the Jones School's place in the Houston community, and the JSA partners with a variety of organizations to give students a chance to give back to our community. Service opportunities, such as blood drives, food and clothing donations, and the Jones Gives Back
program, allow students to bond not only with the community around us, but with each other as well.
Overall, our greatest goal is to enhance the camaraderie between all of the Jones School's stakeholders. By bringing together not only our fellow Full-Time students, but also the Professional and Executive MBA students, as well as the Jones School staff and faculty, we hope to foster the sentiment that we are all one great “Jones School Family.” Therefore, our goals and duties for the 2014-2015 school year are to:
- Do our best to foster an inclusive “Jones School Family”
- Listen to student feedback and convey it to the school administration to make the Jones Graduate School of Business even better than it already is
- Boost morale to make sure everyone has fun while making our own (and others’) lives better
- Work to ensure that everyone at the school has an equal chance of success, both during and after their time at the JGSB.