The Rice Board Fellows program aims to match talented, energetic, and committed Rice MBA students with local nonprofit organizations in an effort to increase capacity in the nonprofit sector while providing members with an opportunity to grow both personally and professionally. At its highest level, the program brings valuable business skills to non-profits and allows non-profits to cultivate potential new board members, while exposing Board Fellows members to “real life” non-profit management and governance.Program Objectives
Responsibilities of a Board Fellow
- Prepare Rice MBA students to be socially responsible leaders through service on non-profit boards.
- Support non-profits by applying Fellows’ professional experiences and academic background to solve strategic, organizational, and operational issues that enhance the work of the board.
- Build the Jones School’s reputation of producing socially responsible, community-oriented leaders while making a positive impact on the Houston community.
Responsibilities of the Organization
- Serve as a non-voting board member
- Attend all board meetings and serve on a board committee
- Commit approximately the same amount of time to the board as a full board member
- Help with and attend special events, as student’s schedule allows
- Provide a mentor who will who will help orient the Fellow to the workings of the Board and be available to answer questions and address concerns
- Provide a formal orientation to the organization's work and expectations for board members
- Communicate consistently and provide feedback about the progress of the Board Fellow
Both students and boards apply to be a part of the program and are matched based on the mutual interest of both parties. Participating non-profit organizations are selected through a simple application process. For selection, organizations should demonstrate regular and efficient opportunities for the Fellow to participate in board proceedings and the promise of a high-quality mentorship relationship. JSBF aims to place Fellows on boards from every sector, including those with local, regional, and national orientations.Board Fellows ApplicationWord